It is time to get food storage savvy. As we all know, first comes shopping, then comes putting the food away. Food storage is very helpful to store foods to keep it fresh, particularly if you do bulk purchasing. Proper food storage helps maintain food quality by retaining flavour, colour, texture and nutrients while reducing the chance of contracting a food-borne illness. The food to be stored totally determines in which kind of storage it will be going to be stored. There are different types of food storage and here is your guide to what goes where. Dry Storage is for the ‘dry’ foods which have a long shelf life and they can be kept at room temperature in the pantry or on the kitchen counters. Cold storage is for foods that must be kept in the refrigerator or cool room below 5.c. The frozen storage is used to store foods which need to be kept frozen solid at -15.c or colder. Now let us take a look at the cold storage and frozen storage. Basically, a refrigerator or freezer is an insulated box, equipped with a refrigeration unit and a control to maintain the proper inside temperature for food storage. Most refrigerators have special compartments for meat, fruits and vegetables to keep the moisture content of each type of food. Freezers, however, have much better insulation; typically double that of a fridge. They also come in many more sizes, in terms of floor space. Striking good looks and cool innovations meet space-saving features and energy efficiency when you choose a new state-of-the-art refrigerator and freezer from MHC. The different types of fridge/freezer around;
- Top mount – the freezer compartment is on top of the refrigerator
- Bottom mount – the freezer compartment is on the bottom below the refrigerator.
- French door – this is similar to the bottom mount as the freezer is on the bottom and the refrigerator is on the top
- Side by side – the freezer is typically on the left and the refrigerator is on the right side. This style gives you more flexibility and shelves for better organization
- All fridge – this refrigerator has no freezer so more fresh food can be stored. This type of refrigerator is generally paired with an All freezer or a standalone freezer
- All freezer – this freezer has no refrigerator and so more frozen foods can be stored. It is generally paired with an All fridge.
- Chest freezer – this is another type of standalone freezer.
Upgrade your kitchen with the best refrigerators and freezers from MHC. MHC has the perfect fridge or freezer that meets your needs and complements your kitchen and or office. We carry stainless steel refrigerators from all the top brands including Samsung and Defy.